LandstuhlRamstein Air Base · KMC
The Bismarckturm in Landstuhl, which was built in honor of the first German Chancellor, Prince Otto von Bismarck (1815-1898), offers a magnificent view of the Sickingen town. The observation tower, designed by the architect Wilhelm Kreis (1873-1955), lies immediately in the west of Landstuhl on the Kirchberg.
It was founded by the mining industry Carl Ferdinand von Stumm-Halberg (1836-1901), has a height of 19 meters and was inaugurated in 1900. In 1907 the Bismarck tower was handed over to the city of Landstuhl. This undertook the obligation to light a fire on the platform on the day of birth and death of Bismarck.
In the interior of the Bismarckturm you reach a 74-step stone staircase to the observation deck and from there you have a magnificent view over the Sickingenstadt Landstuhl.
Information: The Bismarckturm is closed during Advent until shortly after Heilig-Drei-König. Otherwise, it is accessible year-round, if the weather permits.
The first documented mention of Castle Nanstein was in 1253. The castle was an imperial castle, in 13th and 15th century and especially in the 14th and 15th century, it was in the possession of a castle community with numerous commoners and multiple changes of ownership.
From 1518, Franz von Sickingen as sole proprietor expanded the castle to an alleged firearm-suitable fortification. 1523 was a siege through elector Ludwig V. of Palatinate, archbishop Richard of Trier and landgrave Philipp I. of Hesse. Through the biggest artillery array of the time then, the castle was shot, ready to be stormed and Franz von Sickingen, the rebellious chevalier, got badly hurt. He died May 7, 1523. From 1543, the descendants of Sickingen reconstruct the castle to a renaissance castle. The garrisons changed during the Thirty Years’ War. In 1668, the elector of Palatinate captured the castle and the facility got partly detonated.
French troops detonated further parts of the castle in 1689. From 1869 on, the castle got renovated in parts. The partly-reconstructed battery tower from the time of Franz von Sickingen seems mainly impressive.
The castle hill raises 80 meters above the city and offers a wide view over Landstuhl, up to the Northern Palatinate hill country. The 100 meter long and 50 meter wide castle is also the romantic scenery for the castle theater in summer, concerts and guided castle tours.
With 70 seats inside and 150 seats on the panorama terrace, the “Burgschänke” invites to stop and rest, beneath the castle.
Cycle Route Sickinger Mühlen
Course: Ramstein-Miesenbach - Landstuhl - Thaleischweiler-Fröschen
Medium to difficult due to the steep ascent onto Sickingen Heights.
- 29 km of agricultural roads and forest tracks
- 2 km of cycle paths
- 8 km on urban roads with no cycle paths
- 2 km on rural roads with no cycle paths
- 34 km of asphalt
- 7 km of crushed brick/stone surfaces
Distance: 40 km
Ascent: 552 m
Descent: 544 m
Hiking Trail - Castle Nanstein to Kindsbach Lake
Burg Nanstein zum Kindsbacher Bärenloch
Distance: 7.2 km
Ascent: 149 m
Descent: 149 m
Historischer Stadtkern Landstuhl
On the crossroads of ancient traffic arteries, in the midst of a lovable landscape, history and tradition are combined with culture and modernity.
Buildings with a historical flair and old streets bear testimony to a long and important past.
Strolling through the Sickingen town of Landstuhl, past lovingly restored historic buildings, commercial buildings with modern architecture and well-tended gardens, you can feel and experience the history and culture of Landstuhl, according to the slogan "Sympathisch alt – refreshingly young“.
Near Bismarck Tower
The Krämerstein near Landstuhl at the „Fleischackerloch“ is a 120-meter-long rocky reef with 12-meter-high cliff-rich sandstone cliffs.
The imposing block formation with red sandstone comes from the geological period of the Germanic Trias. They are assigned to the Middle mottled sandstone, namely the Karlstal rock zone.
The Landstuhler Bruch, also known as Westricher Moorniederung or Westpfälzische Moorniederung, is a 67 km² comprehensive swamp landscape.
From the Bismarck tower on the Kirchberg, there is an impressive panorama over Landstuhl, Burg Nanstein, the Landstuhler Bruch and the North Palatinate highlands. The Landstuhler Bruch extends to 200 m above sea level as a sink of 30 km in length and a maximum of 7 km in width from Waldmohr in the southwest over Ramstein-Miesenbach and Landstuhl to Kaiserslautern in the northeast.
Around the year 1800, the area was an inaccessible moorland, drained by systematic drainage and scheduled peat extraction, and fed to agriculture and forestry. In addition to the Geisweiher, there are a number of other nature and landscape conservation areas in the Landstuhler Bruch, so that the reed beds, riparian forests, Seggenriede and other wetlands can be maintained and further developed. In addition, the Landstuhler Bruch is the habitat for various amphibians and birds, which depend on fluctuating water levels in the rhythm of the seasons.
Around 1861 seven American giant trees were planted here by the forester Schütz as a botanical feature. The "scallop shell" shows the way to the imposing Wellingtonia.
With a height of more than 44 meters and a circumference of more than 2 meters, the redwood trees at Landstuhl are hard to miss.
100 meters in the direction of Zweibrücken is the entrance to a forest parking lot as a starting point to marked circular hiking trails with a refuge.
Landstuhl citizens vowed to build a chapel in World War II if their city was spared major damage. When the little church was built, it was in the middle of the forest with a view over the city.
Today, at the Marienkapelle, the busy Berliner Straße in the Atzel district passes by.
Mountainbike Park Pfälzerwald with Tour 6 in Landstuhl
The mountainbikepark is located in the middle of the Palatinate Forest - the largest connected forest area and the most impressive red sandstone landscape in Germany.
The park offers winding paths, fast changes from steep climbs and technically demanding descents, impressive views, interesting castles and culinary entertainment on the trails.
Tour 6 in Landstuhl impresses with the changes of landscapes and phenomenal views. Legendary trails and winding paths make every biker's heart beat faster. Approximately, the entire tour is 50 km long and about 1100 meters of altitude need to be overcome.
The popular Old Chapel, officially called the Holy Cross Chapel is on the demonstrably oldest settlement area of Landstuhl.
It’s only the choir of the former medieval St. Andrew's Church, probably built in the late 14th century. In 1805/06 the slightly wider nave of the church was demolished because of poor building structure and the choir room was transformed into a chapel.
Over the centuries, the Old Chapel experienced a colorful history. After Franz von Sickingen (1481-1523), owner of Nanstein Castle, which was rising above the city, sympathized with Martin Butzer and Johannes Schwebel and the two reformers began as pastors in Landstuhl, one of the first Reformed church services in Germany took place in this parish church. From the 16th century to the 18th century, the people of Landstuhl had to adapt to the beliefs of their respective rulers. In the parish church, Catholic, Protestant, Catholic, Protestant, Catholic and Calvinistic services were then held.
The cemetery surrounding the church was a burial ground for over 500 years. Since 1836 it is no longer used as a cemetery. The grave monuments of important Landstuhl citizens date from the late 18th and early 19th centuries. During the Second World War, soldiers and civilian victims of a bomb attack found their last resting place here.
Outdoor Swimming Pool
Monday-Sunday: 10 am – 8 pm
Holidays: 10 am – 8 pm
It’s an unique place of silence and relaxation, with chemical-free and velvet water, a pebble-beach, a cozy wooden jetty, a stream course and the idyllic location at the edge of the Palatinate Forest.
Beside the beach volley field and a boule area is also a rafting track, which provides pure action. If you get hungry after a lot of action and fun, the integrated gastronomy offers a wide range of food.
Protestant city church
Evangelische Stadtkirche Landstuhl
The church is a late 19th-century neo-Gothic building with a pinnacle.
When in 1861 the then small Protestant community turned to its religious brothers throughout the German Reich for financial help for church construction, the donations for one of the oldest Reformed communities in Germany flowed plentifully.
A red sandstone relief with the coat of arms of the Sickinger, which had been found during excavations in the ruins of the former castle Nanstein, was built over the entrance in the vestibule.
It probably dates from the second half of the 16th century and was mounted above a portal. The interior of the church is unadorned, as it corresponded to the thinking of the 19th century strongly influenced by the Calvinist Landstuhl parish.
The pointed arches of the front side windows show the symbols of the four evangelists, the backs are reminiscent of Luther, Calvin, Melanchthon and Franz von Sickingen, whose names also bear the bells.
Rock Formation "Fleischackerloch"
Between Bismarck Tower and Mammoth trees
The „Fleischackerloch“ is a rock formation with a jungle-likely existence of old trees. The natural landmark got its name through the lease of fields and meadows in the valley, in exchange of meat.
People lived there already in the Stone Age, which found tombs prove. In the proximity is a rocky reef, the “Krämerstein”.
Because of its originality, the „Fleischackerloch“, as well as the „Krämerstein“ were the scenery for the few recorded Western films in Palatinate. These films were recorded 1920 in black and white.
Well developed hiking trails, like the long-distance walking trail “Westpfalzwanderweg” as well as the Palatinate Way of St. James, which pass impressive rock formations between “Fleischackerloch” and Bismarck Tower, invite people who look for relaxation, to leave every day stress behind them, or to go on an adventurous trip, apart the traffic.
Saint Andreas Church
St. Andreas Kirche
The parish church St.Andreas emerged in 1752/1753, in the final stage of the Sickingen dynasty.
The nave with its four window aches is directed towards the North, were a quinquepartite finish without the withdrawal of the choir builds the sanctuary.
A lot of light flows through the round-arched windows into the lightly painted interior, which was originally full painted. Two similar portals, flanked by pillars, open the church to the West. The crests of the Sickinger are in the lunettes of the entry. The rectangular church tower with its five floors was the Mizpah, of the in 16th century built town fortification.
The baroque city church accommodates the gravestone of the knight Franz von Sickingen. It shows the knight in a larger than life relief, standing on a lion, in a suit of armor.
If you are interested in visiting the church, contact the Tourist-Information of Verbandsgemeinde Landstuhl.
Swimming pool CUBO in Landstuhl
Since the Middle Ages, the tithe barn is at the eastern entrance of the Kirchenstraße, between the remains of old city walls, the rebuilt city walls and the stairway to the castle.
In the lower part of the historical building, in the "good room", there are also many private events taking place in the spacious rooms next to the city.
In the rooms on the upper floor, the Heimatfreunde Landstuhl set up the "Sickingen Museum", which deals with Franz von Sickingen, a person and his political and intellectual development.
Worth seeing is also preserved in its original condition oak beams, which carries the upper floors.
The forecourt of the Tenth Barn was dedicated to Martin Butzer, one of the most important theologians of the Reformation, who, after falling out of favor due to his "Lutheran" outlook, found and supported Sickingens.
Information: The Tenth Barn is open on special occasions. The dates will be published in the press and on the internet. Out of business hours, interested parties, groups and schools can call Verbandsgemeinde Landstuhl for appointments, Tel. 06371 / 83-0.